Maths at St Nicholas
We aim to…
- Nurture an interest and enjoyment of Maths
- Support Understand the influence on Maths of everyday life
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of Maths
- To reason and problem solve by applying Maths to a variety of increasingly complex problems
- To build upon children’s knowledge and understanding from EYFS to year 6.
- To develop resilience that enables all children to reason and problem solve with increased confidence.
How we will achieve our aims…
- delivering a quality maths curriculum which is challenging and enjoyable
- using National Curriculum objectives to plan, supported by access to high quality resources including White Rose Maths schemes of work and resources
- ensuring teachers and teaching assistants have a high level of subject knowledge
- ensuring all children are challenged in their daily maths lessons
- reviewing medium term planning to reflect gaps in learning and to consolidate key knowledge and skills
- focusing on the accurate use of mathematical vocabulary so that pupils can explain their ideas clearly and precisely
- providing opportunities for pupils to access maths resources at home e.g. Times Tables Rockstars and Numbots
- celebrating achievement in maths through the award of certificates
How will we know we’ve achieved our aims?
- all groups of pupils, including SEND pupils, make expected or better progress from their starting points.
- most children achieve end of year expectations or higher.
- all pupils are resilient learners who take pride in their achievements.
- all pupils are fluent in number facts and can apply them when solving problems in a range of different contexts.
- all pupils can express their mathematical understanding using vocabulary accurately and as concrete, pictorial and abstract representations.
- all pupils build on their mathematical knowledge as they progress through the school so that they are well prepared and confident when starting each next stage of their education.